It's fairly well known that lumber and wood products are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and, therefore, importers should proceed with caution. However, importing plywood is a little less restrictive. Here's what you need to know.

If the wood being imported is finished lumber, meaning it is planed on all sides and does not contain any bark, it does not require fumigation or heat treatment and you are not required to obtain an import permit from the USDA.

Like most wood products, you will be required to provide a Lacey Act declaration using the PPQ Form 505, specifying exactly where all components of the products originated. This form should accompany all documents of wood products and turned over to your broker for declaration purposes.

If the plywood features an unfinished veneer, you will need to apply for an import permit using the PPQ Form 585 “Permit Application to Import Timber or Timber Products” and can be applied for online here. Please note that import permits can only be issued to U.S. citizens at a U.S. address and may take up to one month to process.

If we can be of any assistance to you in this process, do not hesitate to contact us at

Did this answer your question?